Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sex: Plain or Profound, What's Your Style?

Tantra teacher Suzie Heumann explains what all this "god and goddess stuff" in Tantra has to do with sex.
My website, tantra.com, contains lots of sacred iconography: pictures of gods and goddesses, candles, and other archetypal imagery. I've had people tell me that they can't relate because they're not Hindu, or they don't like religion. They ask me, what does all this god and goddess stuff have to do with sex? And why should sex have to be "sacred" anyway? Can't it just be simple and good?


Here's the thing: I don't think sex should be simple! I think it should be a profound experience. The laissez-faire attitude we have about sex today is liberating in some ways but limiting in others. One of the reasons that the ancient tantrics and Taoists devised methods to prolong orgasm is that they realized orgasm takes us to a sometimes mystical, wholly different place, but only momentarily. So the idea was to extend that ecstatic moment and make it a portal into higher states of consciousness.  Read more

No comments: