Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Phallus Evolution: Why Is the Penis Shaped Like That?

If you’ve ever had a good, long look at the human penis (and I think most of us have), you’ve probably wondered about why it's structured the way it is. Tantra teacher Suzie Heumann has some ideas.
It's Darwin's 200th birthday this year and we'll be hearing a lot about him, I'm sure. I'm looking forward to seeing the new movie Creation, which is about his life and will include a look at his fear of reporting all he understood about evolution. Given the Victorian culture he lived in, no wonder he hesitated for some 50 years before he put On The Origin of Species out to the public.

My own evolution wanderings have caused me to wonder for a long time about why the human penis is structured the way it is. Why would evolution make the penis have a head on it, with an obvious bulbous, almost ad-on bigger part? Why does it have that extra skin, the foreskin, added to the mix? And, for that matter, why is that skin cut off (I know about the religious part, I just mean how did it really start)? I won't be covering that one.

I have some ideas about all of this and I'm hoping you'll chime in too. Read more

No comments: