Saturday, April 7, 2012

20 Reasons to Be in Your Body

You've probably heard the phrase "being in your body," but what does it really mean? Lissa Rankin explains:
For years, people have been accusing me of not being in my body (read about it here). I used to have no idea what that meant. I mean, of course I’m in my body, right? I have a body – and I’m alive. So by every medical and spiritual definition I could imagine, I’m in my body.

Yet, my mentors kept telling me I’m not – not just Tricia Barrett, my dear friend and spiritual counselor, but Debbie Rosas, the founder of Nia dance. When Debbie and I were talking awhile back, she said, “Lissa, I know you’ve done a lot of personal growth in the past few years, but I feel like embodiment is the missing piece.” And she invited me to come train with her at her Nia White Belt Intensive in Portland. Since Debbie is the most grounded, solid, rooted, sensual woman I know, I decided that I wanted some of what she was having – so I said yes. And WHOA, NELLY! Debbie was right. I haven’t been in my body.

What Do I Mean By “Be In Your Body?” Read more

1 comment:

betlamed said...

Honestly, I still think that 90% of the time, "you are not in your body" is just another way of saying "you don't agree with me, so you're wrong".

I think we should never ever use that line.

Nobody is ever completely "in the body". Thoughts always arise. Nor is this a bad thing.

Still, it is always a very good thing to try and be in your body as much as possible.